Thursday, April 10, 2014

Digital Health (Participate 4.1.3)

I've struggled through the years to strike a balance between being connected online for both personal and professional purposes and making sure that I tend to my wellness and my family when I'm away from the computer. To maintain that balance, I've had to take deliberate measures to unplug and be present with my friends and family when we are together.

 Knowing that I can easily become addicted to the internet, I have elected to have a very basic cell phone without internet capabilities.  By eliminating that distraction, I never find myself being the person at a restaurant who is just staring at their phone or the person so distracted by text messages that he or she can't carry on face-to-face conversation with another.

Charlie and Matilda are obsessed with Peekaboo Barn, their favorite ipod app.

Still, though, I do possess forms of technology (TV, computer, ipod touch) that can become distractions.  My husband and I have two toddlers ages 1 and 2, and we've witnessed the addictive power of technology with them already, so we make a concerted effort to model appropriate behavior when it comes to technology usage.  When we are spending time together as a family, we don't have phones or ipods or computers out, and we limit the amount of time that our children are allowed to play with the ipods (that are, in our defense, loaded with educational apps).  We go outside as often as we can, frequent the many parks around town, and engage in conversation with each other instead of staring at screens.


It's amazing to me how much it really doesn't matter if I'm able to see my Facebook feed or the latest pictures posted to Instagram.  Yet, when I'm not conscientious about it, I'll check those sites multiple times a day.

It's unfortunate that I have to make such a conscious effort to unplug, but when I do, when I spend the day surrounded by my family and friends, or simply spend the day free from technology and social media, I feel  fulfilled and recharged.


Unplugging doesn't have to be a transcendental experience, but it's important for us to remember that the internet, social media, and technology are all tools for us to use to enhance our relationships and our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment