Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Using Web 2.0 Tools to Differentiate Teacher Instruction (Create 2.1.2)

My students are addicted to their phones.  My school has a policy where we refer to phones as "mobile learning devices," and sometimes my students are actually using their phones (or tablets) as learning tools.  They'll email assignments or work on presentations.  More often than not, though, they're texting--ALL OF THE TIME.

I've decided, then, to incorporate their texting addiction into our classroom activities.  Using Poll Everywhere, a free online polling tool, I am going to begin creating polls to use as practice questions, formative assessments, and to get feedback from my students that will help me customize instruction to them.

  

Poll Everywhere allows the user to create one of a number of types of polls--open response, multiple-choice, true/false, clickable image.  Students text their keyword answers to the number on the screen and then I am able to see the results in real time as they filter in.  I plan to use this tool as a way to meet my students where they are, to review instructional material, and to incorporate more technology into my traditional classroom.

Now if we could just figure out a way to use Snapchat for educational purposes. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment